Video: Hiring the Best Associate Dentist for Your Practice – Experience vs Potential
When working with a dental practice who is looking to add an associate, most practice owners tell us they need an experienced dentist for their position, and in most cases that is the best option. In fact, over 90% of the doctors we place have over one year of experience in practice or residency.
But what are the tradeoffs to experience? When should an office consider hiring a doctor a year or two out of school rather than five to seven years out?
In order to decide what level of experience would be the best fit for your office, let’s take a look at the unique advantages each side offers.
Here are some potential advantages of hiring a more experienced associate dentist:
- Production: Dental School is just the beginning. It takes several years, lots of CE and thousands of chair side hours for most dentists to hit their stride. An experienced dentist should be better able to handle a full schedule.
- Known quantity: A seasoned dentist brings credentials, a work history, and track record of past successes that will allow a new employer to project reasonably accurate results
- Less Babysitting: With experience comes independence and the ability to handle a variety of situations autonomously
Now let’s take a look at some possible advantages of hiring a dentist with less experience:
- Malleable: While an experienced dentist will come to your practice with his or her own idea on how an office should operate or with a well-defined clinical philosophy, a less-experienced dentist will be open-minded and receptive to guidance.
- Fewer up-front needs: This is true of patient load as well as guaranteed income. While many recent graduates have huge student loan debts to consider, they typically have less expense in the rest of their lives. They also come to your practice without the burden of trying to reach previous income levels. They typically are better able to handle a growing practice than a dentist who needs to maintain a higher standard of living
- Superstars are still available: Most practices would love to hire a dentist who is motivated, great with patients, can keep procedures in-house and who will be a boom to the practice for years to come. Dentists like that are rarely available long. These are the dentists who are partners or practice owners within a few years of practice, so if you find a candidate like this, be sure to have an advancement plan in mind so they can grow in-step with your practice.
Whether you’re looking for an associate with a lot of experience or an associate with a lot of potential, we would be happy to help you find the perfect associate, partner, or buyer for your practice. Contact us today and we’ll get started right away on finding the best long-term fit for your situation!
Hiring Master Tip: Don’t Wait Until It’s Too Late
Nov 3, 2021
As the largest and most successful dental recruiting firm in the country, we know a thing or two when it comes to growing your practice. In short, we've observed that practice...
Where Are All the Dentists?
Oct 27, 2021
The market for dental talent has always been competitive. Several factors have combined to make what was already a tight market even more challenging. These include: Grad...
The One That Got Away
Jun 23, 2021
You thought your staffing issue was solved. You felt you had the right fit, you were confident the job offer was solid, you made the offer, and yet, somehow, they took another...
Are You Ready for What’s Next?
Mar 24, 2021
Everyone is trying to understand what’s coming next in a post-COVID-19 world. While we have no special foresight into the future of the pandemic, we can tell you what we hav...
The Right Questions to Ask When You Meet a Candidate
Jun 16, 2020
There is a common perception that interviews are about putting the best face forward for both the practice and the potential employee. While it is natural to want to make a go...
Planning Ahead – Hiring for the Future of Your Practice
Apr 22, 2020
With some states in the beginning stages of lifting isolation restrictions and making small, careful steps toward a new normal after the COVID-19 crisis, many of the practice ...
Interview Logistics 101: Putting a Candidate at Ease
Jan 21, 2020
You think you’ve found a candidate who might just be the perfect fit and you’re looking forward to a great interview. However, your candidate could have a flight delay on ...
Ten Great Quotes to Inspire You to Find Your Next Superstar Associate
Jan 13, 2020
“Hire people who are smarter than you are—whose talents surpass yours—and give them opportunities for growth. It's the smart thing to do and it is a sign of high persona...
New Year. New Hire?
Jan 2, 2020
The big ball has dropped. The champagne has popped. The calendar page has turned. A lot of the planning for 2020 has probably already taken place. Now it’s time to start ...
Playing to Win – How to Seal the Deal with a Potential New Hire
Nov 26, 2019
The rest of the corporate America is dealing with what dental practices have known for years: it's tough to attract and retain top talent. Even when you find a promising candi...