Five new dental schools to open in the U.S.
To view the full article: http://www.ada.org/news/6174.aspx
Here’s a look at five new dental education programs—three opening this fall, one slated for 2012 and one for 2013.
• East Carolina University School of Dental Medicine (Greenville, N.C.)
- A component member of the University of North Carolina System. On Aug. 15, the School of Dental Medicine launched its orientation week, welcoming its first class of 52 students. ECU, American Dental Education Association and North Carolina Dental Society officials were on hand to mark the occasion.
• Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine School of Dental Medicine (Bradenton, Fla.)
- In January, LECOM named Dr. Robert F. Hirsch dean of its School of Dental Medicine, which has initial accreditation and is scheduled to open in 2012 with a class of 100 students. A graduate of Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine, Dr. Hirsch has held faculty and administrative positions at Case, Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine and the University of Minnesota School of Dentistry, and a private practice in Erie, Pa.
• Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine (Downers Grove, Ill.)
- Midwestern University CODM becomes the third dental school in Illinois, joining the University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry and Southern Illinois University School of Dental Medicine in downstate Alton. Dr. Lex MacNeil is its dean.
The private, not-for-profit institution aims to graduate about 125 students a year. Midwestern Illinois has hired its complete complement of faculty for the first year and will hire incrementally for subsequent years, as well as recruit dentists from the community to serve as clinical instructors.
• University of New England College of Dental Medicine (Portland, Maine)
- The University of New England has a founding dean for its College of Dental Medicine—Dr. James J. Koelbl, a past chair of the Commission on Dental Accreditation and founding dean of the Western University of Health Sciences College of Dental Medicine in Pomona, Calif., which opened in 2009.
The College of Dental Medicine submitted its application for initial accreditation and has announced a start date of 2013. “We continue to focus on curriculum development; faculty and staff hiring plans; construction simulation and clinical facilities; and student recruitment and fundraising,” said Dr. Koelbl.
• Roseman University of Health Sciences College of Dental Medicine (South Jordan, Utah)
- In 2007, the University of Southern Nevada began exploring the feasibility of starting the first predoctoral dental education program in Utah. In July of this year, the school changed the name of its campus in the suburbs of Salt Lake City to the Roseman University of Health Sciences CODM.
Dr. Richard Buchanan is the college’s founding dean, and the Commission on Dental Accreditation granted the dental school initial accreditation in August. The first cohort of 64 students began classes Aug. 15.
Posted by Rob Knezovich, Regional Account Executive/ Dental Recruiter. To find out more, call Rob at (540)491-9107 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Beyond the Salary – Intangible Benefits for Dentists to Consider
Sep 27, 2021
When looking at changing practices, financial compensation is often one of the first things to be compared. It's easy and quantifiable. As you evaluate and compare differen...
Reasons to Use a Recruiter in a Candidate-Driven Market
Sep 1, 2021
We'll be the first to admit it's currently a hot employment market, with demand for qualified associates at unprecedented levels all across the country. If you're a dentist lo...
Two New Factors to Consider in Your Job Search
Aug 20, 2021
The employment market for dentists has never been better. That's good. But there are some things to consider that have been less important in previous years. The package, f...
Maybe It’s Time to Go – 7 Signs to Start Job Hunting
May 28, 2020
Every job has its good days and bad, but what are the signs you need to be polishing up your CV? At ETS, we work with practices and candidates every day, and these are the thi...
Job Seekers: It’s Time to Strengthen Your Personal Brand
May 19, 2020
Dental practices across the country are going to take some time to rebound in the wake of the COVID-19 shutdowns. This will surely delay or slow down the hiring of Associates,...
Is a Personal Brand Website Right for Me?
Mar 9, 2020
There was a time that you literally had to be a computer scientist to create a website promoting your expertise. With the rise of Wix, Squarespace, Wordpress, and other platfo...
Looking for a New Job While Keeping Your Current Job
Feb 6, 2020
Nearly everyone agrees that the best time to look for a job is when you are gainfully employed. It can be tricky, but here are a few hints. 1) Don’t share with co-workers ...
6 Good Reasons to Look for a New Opportunity
Jan 27, 2020
At some point, virtually every dental associate finds themselves wondering if it’s time to seek greener professional pastures. Setting aside the justifiable trigger issues s...
Reasons Why 2020 May be the Best Time to Find a New Job
Dec 23, 2019
As each year comes to a close, it is natural to take inventory of the things we’ve accomplished over the past twelve months. At the same time, we get to look forward to what...
How to Keep Your Job Search Productive During the Holidays
Dec 18, 2019
From November to January, most of us have about a million distractions competing for our attention. Between the mashed potato-induced comas, wrapping gifts and ringing in the ...